Let’s be honest, moms are hard to shop for at all ages, but the older we get, the harder it seems! I am blessed to have a mom, mother-in-law, and grandma still with me. These women are rockstars in their own right, and there is not a single thing they need nor want. I struggle every year with meaningful, purposeful gifts, and admittedly, some years, I hit the mark better than others.
Here are a few ideas that are fun and many I have done in the past:
Card - with a personal touch!
- Maybe the grandkids make it. Maybe it’s a bit sentimental with a handwritten message. Maybe it has a gift card for a treat they wouldn’t usually gift themselves but will use. For example, my grandma would use a gift card to Dairy Queen!
Flowers to plant
- This is a tradition in my family on Mother’s Day. We all give each other flowers to plant - geraniums, petunias, spikes, tropicals for shady spaces…you get the idea. And, we still buy our own. It’s a thing, and it’s okay. We even have perennials from my GREAT grandma!
Framed pictures of the grandchildren
- I am terrible about keeping up pictures with my kids as they get older. It was one of my New Year’s resolutions this year. I still have eight months, right?! But seriously, pictures of the grandkids never get old, either in the form of a “brag book,” framed collage, or a big canvas print. Whatever the form, it is priceless and appreciated.
Gift certificate for a manicure, pedicure, facial, etc.
- Be selective about gift certificates for personal services. Just because you like it doesn’t mean they will. On the other hand, maybe they would and don’t know it because they have never had someone rub their feet for an hour. :)
- I almost typed “yard art,” but I just can’t. The term yard art brings visions of not precisely a tastefully accessorized yard. There is a time and place for everything, and some pieces look beautiful, but people often go overboard. Rule of thumb, less is always more! The term “landscaping decor” stirs visions of darling birdbaths, cool birdhouses, beautiful glass globes, and maybe fun “creatures” like tortoises or lizards.
New garden flag with solar light to shine on it
- Does your mom or grandma have a little garden flag? Some are cheesy, and some are just fabulous! I recently spray-painted my garden flag post with Rustoleum “champagne mist” to update it and match my house numbers on my Entry Envy sign! It looks so much better. I also added a solar spotlight to shine on it at night. It’s such a small, inexpensive touch that adds so much!
Solar lights for flower pots/planters
- Speaking of solar lights, they have come far! Solar spotlights are about $10 each and look amazing shining upon a planted palm after dark. So many people don’t think about it, but honestly, they are fantastic for your patios, front porch, etc. Be generous with solar lights and far more original than lining the sidewalk path!
- If your mom doesn’t have one of these, she should! Anywhere that drops below 70 degrees at night makes this a delightful gift and an excellent way to comfortably enjoy “after dark” hours. I have had both electric and propane. Which you prefer may depend on logistics. I’m honestly a fan of anything that plugs in, and I don’t have to worry about running out of fuel, but they are not pretty and require easy access to power. Overall, think back to your five senses - sight, sound, smell, hearing, taste. When you enjoy your own home or entertaining, think about how all five of these play into your experience- they ALL matter.
Outdoor accent pillows or outdoor rug
- Outdoor anything doesn’t hold up much over a season, especially subject to sun and moisture. New outdoor pillows and rugs (front door or patio door) are always fun and make anyone look forward to spending time outside! Citronella candles or outdoor lanterns are a great extra addition.
- I know this sounds like an oddball, but many older homes don’t have great lighting. Sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know, and a few new LED light bulbs and some LED strip lighting can make all the difference in the world for dark entryways, bathrooms, closets, and under-cabinet lights.
Hand soap, lotion, air fragrance refills
- Great-smelling hand soap and lotion are the simple pleasures in life that too many women skimp on. It seems like it’s an overabundance or not enough! Fun fact: the older we get, the less sensitive our nose becomes, so the more perfume we might accidentally put on!
And here’s one you may not have thought of, an Entry Envy sign! Entry Envy signs are a thoughtful way to celebrate your mother all year long with our monthly Envy Decor Refill Kits. Whether she lives in a home, apartment, independent living, or assisted living facility, Entry Envy signs will bring her joy every month of the year!
Exterior and interior Entry Envy signs make wonderful Mother’s Day gifts for moms and grandmas! Our signs and decor kits express beautifully and simply: someone lives here, someone cares, and someone is loved. It is a lovely and thoughtful way to recognize the passage of time.
P.S. Entry Envy custom home signs welcome guests and help delivery drivers validate they are at the correct house. There are so many styles available! If you haven't ordered yours yet, please SHOP HERE to design your unique sign. Monthly home decor subscription boxes make it easy and convenient to keep your sign in style. You'll never have to think about how to update your front porch for the next season or holiday again!
Choose how to follow us HERE or text “welcome” to 855-697-0203 for specials and always be the first to know!